Wednesday, August 20, 2014

God IS at work!

It's funny to me how God reveals Himself to me when I bother to slow down and look for Him.  As an almost 50 mother of 3 with a full time job, a dog and a husband, I can honestly say that most of the time....I'm tired!  So much so that I'm painfully aware of the blessings that I miss because I am mentally and physically exhausted.  It doesn't help that I'm overweight or that I have a tendency towards anxiety/panic attacks.  It all plays a part in the portrait of my life!

This week, while I dealt with 60 minute car lines (YES, you read that right 6-0!), I had the opportunity for some quiet time, all alone.  It is a rarity that I have even 15 minutes to myself, so having 50 to 60 minutes to just sit...and think...and pray...was a wonderful unexpected GIFT from God!

My personality is such that I'm easily annoyed.  I let things get under my skin and fester.  At some point, the blister bursts and my nastiness spills out all over the place.  Many times I regret my words, both written and spoken.  Sometimes I even wish I could physically kick myself in the behind!  "Nancy, why can't you keep your trap shut?"

About a month ago, I turned over a new leaf.  I decided to ask God to help remind me that I don't need all that stress in my life.  I wanted the stress to be overridden by the Holy Spirit!  I promised myself NOT to let things get me upset and to try and keep my heart ready to receive the gifts that God wanted to give me.  HIS GRACES!

He has honored that prayer...a hundred fold!  I have talked to Him more in this last month than I have in the last year!  I have felt His presence, I have heard His voice (in my heart), I have seen how He loves me and wants me for His own.

This has been a transforming few weeks!  I realize that I won't be able to go forever without getting upset and frustrated...but I have learned something (or, rather, re-learned) that my 8th grade teacher, Sr. Madeline Carey, used to tell us everyday......"you are going to get out of something exactly what you are willing to put into it".  I've never forgotten those words....never ever!  What you give and offer up to God through your love for Him and your desire to be closer to Him, He will repay you in ways you never thought possible!  I mean, imagine this....a 50 year old mom waiting in a hot, sticky car line for ONE HOUR (and then still having to return to work to finish out an 8 hour shift) and she didn't get upset, her feathers weren't ruffled in any way...and she managed to use her time wisely to converse with the Creator of the Universe.....and she lives to tell about it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment