Wednesday, May 29, 2019

There's more?

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...tada!  I was notified yesterday that my 7th grader will be retained in 7th grade for another year.  She failed math and civics.  That's all.  The school counselor called, told me matter of factly...and said goodbye.  She never offered any solutions or recommended any way to help.  I was stunned and since she called me at work and there were people standing around my desk...I didn't ask any questions.  I called my husband and he asked me about summer school.  I emailed the counselor and asked.  Her response was simple, "No, unfortunately there are no summer school options offered for 7th graders".  Not one word more.  So, I did what I always do, I panicked.  I knew she was going to be close, but her last day of school is the 31st...you would have thought the school would have reached out to me sooner.  Sigh.  I hate that school.  That school is the reason for most of my anxiety these days. 

Anyway, I was able to talk to a friend who talked me off the ledge.  She is also a guidance counselor at a local high school.  She was able to look at my daughter's records and found that she passed the first semester of math, but failed the second.  Therefore, she suggested that I enroll her in FVS (Florida Virtual School) for the summer for the 2nd semester math curriculum.  If she passes that, she should be promoted.  She can take civics as an 8th grader, but will lose one of her elective classes and more than likely, she'll have another "history" class as well.  It will only work if the guidance counselor "approves" this plan.  To hell with her if she doesn't. 

I do not need another thing.  I don't.  I can't handle any more.  Each day, I feel like a part of me dies.  Soon, there will be nothing left.  What do I do then?  It's only a matter of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment